Forum Message

Topic: Re:Reply
Posted by: Vanessa Smith
Date/Time: 21/01/20 15:07:00

On that subject - a neighbour and myself visited a former elderly neighbour who has now moved to a sheltered unit, whilst there we saw that there was a lovely patio area for residents that could possibly benefit from some bedding plants and perhaps some tomatoes if people were interested. On leaving we were introduced to the manager and my neighbour explained this, she has an allotment and they do normally have excess plants and she and a fellow allotment holder thought they could interact with the residents if they wanted and also maintain the area if required and help bring people together.

Had she suggested pulling the whole building down on top of the residents she could hardly have met with a more hostile reception. Every excuse possible to not get involved was put forward, the inevitable health and safety, holding meetings, passing things up the management chain, who were these two women offering to help, what organisation did they come from - it was quite unbelievable. I asked the manger if she'd heard of Hounslow's 'Thriving Communities' initiative which is aiming to facilitate groups getting together in the borough. My neighbour was so depsondent - as she said, we're talking a few bloody Pansies not re-landscaping. The manager could have said thanks but I can't take the decision but I'll certainly look into it and get back to you.All there was was obstruction and a 101 reasons why this couldn't happen. I have brought this to the attention of the cabinet member for older people and much good did it do. These councillors have to stop defending employees/officers when they act like jobsworths, either the council stops dreaming up policies and strategies that sound wonderful but in practice prove difficult to enact, or they will find that people willing and able to give of their time will just walk away, and we will all be the poorer for that.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Good letter Cllr John Todd on the friont page20/01/20 18:04:00 Jennifer Selig
   Re:Good letter Cllr John Todd on the friont page21/01/20 11:17:00 Steve Taylor
      Re:Re:Good letter Cllr John Todd on the friont page21/01/20 22:22:00 Jim Lawes
   Reply21/01/20 13:48:00 John Keeler
      Re:Reply21/01/20 15:07:00 Vanessa Smith
         Re:Re:Reply21/01/20 16:57:00 Janice Evans
         Re:Jobsworths21/01/20 17:35:00 Richard Greenhough
            Re:Re:Jobsworths21/01/20 18:06:00 Philippa Bond
               Reply21/01/20 22:19:00 Jim Lawes
                  Re:Reply21/01/20 23:53:00 Mike Preece
                  Re:  Keeping in touch with what's happening outside 22/01/20 09:59:00 Philippa Bond
                     Re:Re:  Keeping in touch with what's happening outside 22/01/20 17:13:00 Jennifer Selig
                        Re:Re:Re:  Keeping in touch with what's happening outside 22/01/20 20:00:00 Philippa Bond

Forum Home