Forum Message

Topic: Re:'No' to third runway posters
Posted by: Jane Davison
Date/Time: 26/01/08 12:07:00

It is depressing to think that the height of that plane was over 2000 feet, as the noise was horrendous.  I feel for the people even nearer the airport.  If that were to happen every 90 seconds, starting at 5 am, over North Chiswick/Bedford Park/Acton (where I have been for 26 years, and where the kids grew up), for me there would be no alternative but to move.

It seems astonishing that any government can have the power to put forward proposals that would be so detrimental to so many.  There is a real sense of lack of natural justice, and additionally so many still are not even aware that this may happen. 

The French seem to place so much more emphasis on quality of life (indeed, I have read that Sarkozy is currently having 'quality of life' built into French economic performance indicators).

I know there was a fairly recent proposal to locate a further airport for Paris near beautiful countryside, which was successfully defeated.

I have also heard that a policy decision has been taken for planes to fly higher on approach to Charles de Gaulle, to improve the quality of life of residents on the ground.  I believe this has been mooted at Heathrow, but rejected on the grounds of passenger comfort - but what about the comfort of the x million people receiving the noise benefit of those flights every 90 seconds?

And, the French have taken an even more recent decision to halt all further airport expansion...

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
'No' to third runway posters23/01/08 22:54:00 Jane Davison
   Re:'No' to third runway posters23/01/08 23:11:00 Mike Russell
      Re:Re:'No' to third runway posters25/01/08 23:48:00 Richard Jennings
   Re:'No' to third runway posters26/01/08 12:07:00 Jane Davison
      Re:Re:'No' to third runway posters26/01/08 13:06:00 Jim Lawes
         Re:Re:Re:'No' to third runway posters26/01/08 21:10:00 Jane Davison

Forum Home