Forum Message

Topic: Has anyone been watching 'The Chef's Protege'
Posted by: Philip Slater
Date/Time: 15/09/14 13:03:00

Is this programme the most damning indictment of the UK's education system ever?

My wife and I just started watching this programme, catching up on episodes from the last month or so. For anyone who hasn't seen it, Michel Roux Jr, Theo Randall and Tom Kitchin go back to the catering colleges where they trained, to try to find a young protege to mentor. What they find has me totally astounded:

-A 3rd year student (3rd year at catering college!) who cannot make scrambled eggs without a microwave. She has a long think about it, but after coming up blank, has to be instructed as how to make them in a pan, at which she then fails abysmally.

-A 3rd year student who didn't know that olives had stones in them

-A 2nd year student who didn't know to add oil to a pan to fry something, tried to dry fry mushrooms.

-A student (I forget which, but 2nd/3rd year) who'd had a risotto once - when her Mum made it.

-None of them had made pasta before, including a 2nd year who claimed never to have encountered Italian food.

Now at the age of 18/19, I certainly wouldn't have claimed to be the best or most knowledgeable chef, but if I'd sent (& paid for) my kids to go to catering college I'd expect them to know these things within the first day/week, which makes me wonder what the hell do they do there?

What DO they learn about? Anyone been to one, who could enlighten me? Or is it just the path of least resistance to get some sort of qualifications? What makes it worse is that the candidates put forward for the show were the colleges' most promising students supposedly!!

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Has anyone been watching 'The Chef's Protege'15/09/14 13:03:00 Philip Slater
   Re:Has anyone been watching 'The Chef's Protege'15/09/14 14:01:00 Curzon Tussaud
   Re:Has anyone been watching 'The Chef's Protege'15/09/14 14:08:00 Anne England
      Re:Re:Has anyone been watching 'The Chef's Protege'15/09/14 14:41:00 Philip Slater
         Re:Re:Re:Has anyone been watching 'The Chef's Protege'15/09/14 15:42:00 Trudie Fuller
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Has anyone been watching 'The Chef's Protege'15/09/14 15:47:00 Philip Slater
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Has anyone been watching 'The Chef's Protege'15/09/14 15:52:00 Trudie Fuller
                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Has anyone been watching 'The Chef's Protege'15/09/14 16:16:00 Trudie Fuller
                     Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Has anyone been watching 'The Chef's Protege'15/09/14 16:28:00 Philip Slater
                     Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Has anyone been watching 'The Chef's Protege'15/09/14 17:19:00 Philip Slater

Forum Home