As anyone with a memory can tell you, Michael, the original debate on this particular stretch of C9 was rife with anti-Catholic rhetoric. People such as you were adamant the church should alter processionals and oh, I dunno, ignore/forfeit thousands of years of practice, belief and tradition. Horrific things were said here and online. Wouldn't take much to search the forum and put names to it. But of course you know that.
Things were so inane I bothered to contact Ruth Cadbury to draw attention to how ludicrous the cycle lobby was being and how inappropriate the suggestions were. We met at the church and I walked her through the debate, both literally and figuratively. I then turned to her and asked how she would react - how her fellow congregants would react - if a proposal of some kind demanded the Quaker meeting house have a corner lopped off the square their beliefs require, if their rituals were forced to change. She mumbled "well I hadn't thought of it like that" to which I replied "how could you not?"
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if some at the Catholic church recall this and are again concerned and quite rightly so.
|