Forum Message

Topic: Re:Chiswick High Road Cycle Lanes New school term
Posted by: Ed Saper
Date/Time: 14/09/21 15:04:00

Much busier than the holidays, yes.

I'm not sure if it is busier than it was at the end of last term - I noticed that when C9 first went in, there was steady growth as more people got bikes and especially cargo carriers - although each lockdown knocked it back down again!

It is a shame that C9 ends at Thames Road - it is quieter than before, but still tricky to negotiate with very young kids to the local school without using the pavements.

I think every school should have a dedicated cycle lane that goes past it - or a closed road. 

Kew Bridge is another matter - the conversion of 50% of the shared cycleway / pedestrian pavement for another car lane has led to the remaining pavement getting chocka with bikes and pedestrians during school start / end times.

You can use the road of course, but turning off across 4 lanes of traffic without any bike priority is something for the confident cyclist, not the casual parent with a kid / kids on bikes.

I would predict that at some point Kew Bridge will move to bidirectional bus lanes with a bus stop island - and it wouldn't surprise me if there's a collision between a cyclist and a disembarking bus passenger before that happens.

Anyway, if the intention was to get more people cycling to schools by providing a safe cycle lane, then that's certainly worked - they just need to join the dots and actually connect up the schools now too. 

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Chiswick High Road Cycle Lanes New school term14/09/21 14:00:00 Mairi Franses
   Re:Chiswick High Road Cycle Lanes New school term14/09/21 15:04:00 Ed Saper
      Re:Re:Chiswick High Road Cycle Lanes New school term14/09/21 15:35:00 Paul Campbell
      Re:Re:Chiswick High Road Cycle Lanes New school term15/09/21 23:12:00 Mark Smith
         Re:Re:Re:Chiswick High Road Cycle Lanes New school term15/09/21 23:14:00 Claire Moran
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Chiswick High Road Cycle Lanes New school term15/09/21 23:56:00 Ed Saper
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Chiswick High Road Cycle Lanes New school term16/09/21 07:23:00 Paul Campbell
   Re:Chiswick High Road Cycle Lanes New school term16/09/21 19:27:00 Mairi Franses
      Re:Re:Chiswick High Road Cycle Lanes New school term16/09/21 19:33:00 Julian Pavey
         Re:Re:Re:Chiswick High Road Cycle Lanes New school term16/09/21 19:36:00 Julian Pavey

Forum Home