Forum Message

Topic: time for a new Nook
Posted by: George Turner
Date/Time: 07/08/14 11:43:00

I think my Nook Simple Touch's battery is about to go west. But its been brilliant - not fragile as Which describe it, you just need to use a case!

Now there is the NOOK GlowLight e-Reader - White - only place I can find this is Argos £89, I'd prefer John Lewis .. Its been on the go since the end of last year so why's it not more widely available I wonder...

The reviews aren't all good - should I get a Kobo instead? Any views? Any Kobo users - I don't think the Kobo supports folders and there's no Home button, which is a pity. I def want an eInk display, not a tablet one.

reviews -

The Good Barnes & Noble's second-generation Nook GlowLight improves on an already good e-reader, with a lighter design than the Kindle Paperwhite, improved lighting scheme, sharper text, and other enhancements, including the elimination of page flashing. You get 4GB of internal memory and there's a ring of silicone rubber around the frame to help protect the device in the event of a fall.

The Bad Lacks the expansion slot and page-turn buttons found on previous models. While the device is responsive, Barnes & Noble would have ideally equipped it with a faster processor. White finish can show some grime from your hands. Nook content ecosystem is good but can't match Kindle's.

The Bottom Line While it doesn't necessarily beat the Kindle Paperwhite, the $119 Nook GlowLight is an excellent e-reader that's strongly worth considering if you don't want to buy into the Amazon ecosystem.

----
While Barnes & Noble has thankfully eliminated the "Simple Touch" title from the device's name, this is a touch-screen e-reader that sports a display with the same resolution (1,024x758 pixels, 212ppi) as the Kindle Paperwhite and delivers similarly sharp text. It's nicely responsive, though I would have liked to have seen Barnes & Noble go with the 1GHz processor that's in the Paperwhite (and the Kobo Glo) instead of sticking with an 800MHz processor. The difference is very slight, but in comparing it to the Kindle Paperwhite, the Amazon e-reader is a touch zippier. We're talking fractions of a second, but page turns are ever so slightly faster on the Kindle.

Aside from improving the display and slimming the chassis, the biggest enhancement Barnes & Noble has made is to the integrated light -- the GlowLight is now significantly brighter at its highest setting, looks whiter, and displays more evenly across the screen. At its highest setting, the Nook's light is a bit brighter than the Kindle Paperwhite's, which has also been made brighter (it's a plus that it gets as bright as it does, but the majority of people keep the light at more of a medium setting, particularly for nighttime reading).

On top of all that, Barnes & Noble has completely eliminated the flashing you typically get from e-ink-based e-readers. With e-ink, the screen needs to refresh every so often, which is what causes the flash. When you go back to the home screen, the display does flash, but it seems less jarring because you're not in the middle of turning a page while reading.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
time for a new Nook07/08/14 11:43:00 George Turner
   Re:time for a new Nook07/08/14 13:37:00 Jonathan Bingham
      Re:Re:time for a new Nook07/08/14 15:39:00 George Turner
         Re:Re:Re:time for a new Nook07/08/14 17:40:00 Lucy Chambers

Forum Home