Forum Message

Topic: Scaffolding works
Posted by: Keidy Pukk
Date/Time: 15/09/21 19:47:00

Google has not helped me out & I don't have any friends who know about this either, so hoping someone here can shed some light or has had a similar experience. 

The building I live in started scaffolding works in July. I understand that this is to do with fire safety and cladding, so obviously I understand this needs to be done but unfortunately I had no notice about this as the company has apparently only notified owners via letter, which I hadn't been opened as I'm only a tenant and the landlord hasn't been to the flat in a while due to Covid. I have been trying to find out more information via ringing up the company, building manager, and talking to the builders on site, but I either can't get through or no one speaks English, and if I do get an answer out of someone, it never matches the previous one and turns out to be untrue anyway. The various timescales I have been given have varied from a week to two years, possibly from paperwork to finish. The builders have been there for two months now and only half of the building has been covered, and this does not include any actual work being done, so I can only imagine it will take until at least November for them to finish that before they even get to the important stuff.

Can someone explain to me what 'cladding works' actually mean? I'm sure it varies from building to building, but how long does it usually take, how much drilling is involved etc? Also does taking scaffolding down take less time than putting it up? Is it on the roof? The reason I'm asking is because they start 8am every weekday morning (and of course, they have to do the heavy drilling in the morning and not afternoon), but I work shifts so I'm not in bed before 2am-3am usually and haven't been able to sleep properly for months now. In addition to the drilling during the day, I now also have to fear the evening rain as when it does, something somewhere will periodically drip onto the scaffolding Chinese Water Torture style loud enough to penetrate the double-glazing. It goes without saying that I for a good chunk of the day I can't open my windows, for any fresh air either.

I find it absolutely mad, particularly with the WFH now, that the housing company thinks it's absolutely fine to distrupt the living conditions as much with no set deadline or no compensation for what is really their own mistake for cutting costs and opting for the materials that they have in the building process to begin with.

I really like my flat and it's convenient to me in many ways, so moving out is really the last option - particularly with the absolutely insane rental prices in Chiswick at the moment -, so if I knew it was just a couple more months, I could pace myself to just live through it, but if it's going to be years then I know I'd just have to bite the bullet. This current unknown is driving me mad.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Scaffolding works15/09/21 19:47:00 Keidy Pukk
   Re:Scaffolding works15/09/21 20:07:00 Peter Evans

Forum Home