Forum Message

Topic: Part 4 of 6: An interesting and moving refugee story
Posted by: Angela Knight
Date/Time: 27/09/15 19:36:00

“After I told my father that I’d made it to Europe, I wanted nothing more than to turn that lie into the truth. I found a smuggler and told him my story. He acted like he cared very much and wanted to help me. He told me that for 1000 Euros, he could get me to a Greek Island. He said: ‘I’m not like the other smugglers. I fear God. I have children of my own. Nothing bad will happen to you.’ I trusted this man. One night he called me and told me to meet him at a garage. He put me in the back of a van with twenty other people. There were tanks of gasoline back there, and we couldn’t breath. People started to scream and vomit. The smuggler pulled out a gun, pointed it at us, and said: ‘If you don’t shut up, I will kill you.’ He took us to a beach, and while he prepared the boat, his partner kept the gun pointed at us. The boat was made of plastic and was only three meters long. When we got on it, everyone panicked and the boat started to sink. Thirteen of the people were too scared to go. But the smuggler said that if we changed our minds, he would keep the money, so seven of us decided to go ahead. The smuggler told us that he would guide us to the island, but after a few hundred meters, he jumped off the boat and swam to shore. He told us to keep going straight. The waves got higher and higher and water began to come in the boat. It was completely black. We could see no land, no lights, only ocean. Then after thirty minutes the motor stopped. I knew we all would die. I was so scared that my thoughts completely stopped. The women started crying because none of them could swim. I lied and told them that I could swim with three people on my back. It started to rain. The boat began to turn in circles. Everyone was so frightened that nobody could speak. But one man kept trying to work on the motor, and after a few minutes it started again. I don’t remember how we reached shore. But I remember I kissed all the earth I could find. I hate the sea now. I hate it so much. I don’t like to swim it. I don’t like to look at it. I hate everything about it.” (Kos, Greece)

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
An interesting and moving refugee story26/09/15 19:35:00 Angela Knight
   Part 3 of 6: An interesting and moving refugee story26/09/15 21:38:00 Angela Knight
      Re:Part 3 of 6: An interesting and moving refugee story26/09/15 22:08:00 Paul Wright
         Re:Re:Part 3 of 6: An interesting and moving refugee story26/09/15 22:25:00 Angela Knight
   Re:An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 01:14:00 R Rees Williams
      Re:Re:An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 09:44:00 Arnold Saxton
         Re:Re:Re:An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 09:56:00 Madeleine Hazard
            Re:Re:Re:Re:An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 09:58:00 Angela Knight
         Re:Re:Re:An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 10:05:00 R Rees Williams
            Re:Re:Re:Re:An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 10:07:00 Carl Wynne
               Part 4 of 6: An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 19:36:00 Angela Knight
                  Re:Part 4 of 6: An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 20:23:00 Claire Moran
                     Part 5 of 6: An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 23:30:00 Angela Knight
                        Part 6 of 6: An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 23:32:00 Angela Knight

Forum Home