Forum Message

Topic: An interesting and moving refugee story
Posted by: Angela Knight
Date/Time: 26/09/15 19:35:00

This is taken from a Facebook page called 'Humans of New York'. It is not my text. However I think it does go some way to painting a picture of why people are so desperate to leave Syria by illegal means.
Copy and pasted text:
I want to begin this refugee series with a post from the summer of 2014. This is Muhammad, who I first met last year in Iraqi Kurdistan. At the time, he had just fled the war in Syria and was working as a clerk at my hotel. When war broke out, he’d been studying English Literature at the University of Damascus, so his English was nearly perfect. He agreed to work as my interpreter and we spent several days interviewing refugees who were fleeing the advance of ISIS. As is evident from the quote below, I left Muhammad with the expectation that he’d soon be travelling to the United Kingdom with fake papers. I am retelling the story because I have just now reconnected with Muhammad. He will be working again as my interpreter for the next ten days. But the story he told me of what happened since we last met is tragic. (1/6)

-------------------------------------------------------------

"The fighting got very bad. When I left Syria to come here, I only had $50. I was almost out of money when I got here. I met a man on the street, who took me home, and gave me food and a place to stay. But I felt so ashamed to be in his home that I spent 11 hours a day looking for jobs, and only came back to sleep. I finally found a job at a hotel. They worked me 12 hours a day, for 7 days a week. They gave me $400 a month. Now I found a new hotel now that is much better. I work 12 hours per day for $600 a month, and I get one day off. In all my free hours, I work at a school as an English teacher. I work 18 hours per day, every day. And I have not spent any of it. I have not bought even a single T-shirt. I've saved 13,000 Euro, which is how much I need to buy fake papers. There is a man I know who can get me to Europe for 13,000. I'm leaving next week. I'm going once more to Syria to say goodbye to my family, then I'm going to leave all this behind. I'm going to try to forget it all. And I'm going to finish my education."
(August 2014 : Erbil, Iraq)
“Before leaving for Europe, I went back to Syria to see my family once more. I slept in my uncle’s barn the entire time I was there, because every day the police were knocking on my father’s door. Eventually my father told me: ‘If you stay any longer, they will find you and they will kill you.’ So I contacted a smuggler and made my way to Istanbul. I was just about to leave for Europe when I received a call from my sister. She told me that my father had been very badly beaten by police, and unless I sent 5,000 Euro for an operation, he would die. That was my money to get to Europe. But what could I do? I had no choice. Then two weeks later she called with even worse news. My brother had been killed by ISIS while he was working in an oil field. They found our address on his ID card, and they sent his head to our house, with a message: ‘Kurdish people aren’t Muslims.’ My youngest sister found my brother’s head. This was one year ago. She has not spoken a single word since.” (Kos, Greece - September 2015)

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
An interesting and moving refugee story26/09/15 19:35:00 Angela Knight
   Part 3 of 6: An interesting and moving refugee story26/09/15 21:38:00 Angela Knight
      Re:Part 3 of 6: An interesting and moving refugee story26/09/15 22:08:00 Paul Wright
         Re:Re:Part 3 of 6: An interesting and moving refugee story26/09/15 22:25:00 Angela Knight
   Re:An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 01:14:00 R Rees Williams
      Re:Re:An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 09:44:00 Arnold Saxton
         Re:Re:Re:An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 09:56:00 Madeleine Hazard
            Re:Re:Re:Re:An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 09:58:00 Angela Knight
         Re:Re:Re:An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 10:05:00 R Rees Williams
            Re:Re:Re:Re:An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 10:07:00 Carl Wynne
               Part 4 of 6: An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 19:36:00 Angela Knight
                  Re:Part 4 of 6: An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 20:23:00 Claire Moran
                     Part 5 of 6: An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 23:30:00 Angela Knight
                        Part 6 of 6: An interesting and moving refugee story27/09/15 23:32:00 Angela Knight

Forum Home