Forum Message

Topic: Buying on line or over the phone
Posted by: Elizabeth Ross
Date/Time: 26/06/15 13:37:00

Earlier this month I ordered 10 X 25kg bags of smokeless fuel.  The offer price on line was £15.60 per bag inc VAT and delivery with an additional discount of 60p per bag for summer orders.  Because I wanted a specific day 3 weeks ahead for delivery I rang the distributor and placed my order and paid.  Silly me, I did not check the price but assumed it would be the same.  Incidentally, this same offer has been online since the beginning of May and I get constant reminders by email as to the advantages of taking up this offer before it runs out.

The delivery arrived this week as arranged and when checking the invoice I find that I have been charged £16.40 per bag.  Needless to say I called the distributor to complain and have just been told that the higher price of £17 with 60p discount was levied because I had placed the order over the phone.

Nowhere on their site does it indicate that there would be a higher price charged for telephone orders and nor was I advised at the time of ordering that I would be paying more if the order was placed over the phone.

To my mind such a discrepancy is sharp practice particularly without any advanced warning on the web site or over the phone.  I do understand that such a company would charge different prices for different areas, no doubt it is in relation to the distance from the depot - you do not get a price on the website unless you put in your postcode.

However, I have just received a call from a senior person at the distributors explaining that this is normal practice but he would, however, refund the £14 difference as a gesture of good will.  I have accepted this gesture but am still not happy.

Perhaps someone out there can enlighten me as to the rights and wrongs of the distributor's selling practice.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Buying on line or over the phone26/06/15 13:37:00 Elizabeth Ross
   Re:Buying on line or over the phone26/06/15 14:14:00 Janine Jarvis
      Re:Re:Buying on line or over the phone26/06/15 14:23:00 Maggie Dodge
         Re:Re:Re:Buying on line or over the phone26/06/15 14:47:00 Elizabeth Ross

Forum Home