Forum Message

Topic: District line signalling now planned for completion in 2022
Posted by: Michael Robinson
Date/Time: 24/03/15 13:43:00

This topic has come up a few times but TfL have finally provided some information.

For background, in 2011 TfL went out to tender for a supplier to re-signal the sub-surface lines (District, Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan).  TfL selected Bombardier as their supplier, but basically the Bombardier product didn't work so TfL went out to tender again in early 2014 for an alternative supplier.

TfL have now selected Thales as the new supplier however the overall project timescales have slipped from TfL's original desired date of 2018 to 2022 (I think the 2018 date was probably never realistic anyway)

They are planning to complete the Circle line sections of the sub-surface line by 2021 but the other sections, so the Richmond and Ealing Broadway branches, by 2022.  After this, the signalling should be more reliable and I would hope they also may increase the frequency of trains.

As the TfL press release says, after the sub-surface line project is finished, they will move on to buying new trains and signalling for the Piccadilly, Central, Bakerloo, and Waterloo & City lines (the trains will be the so-called "New Tube for London" models)

So from a Chiswick perspective, all day Piccadilly line stopping at Turnham Green is dependent on the new signalling and trains for the Piccadilly line, so that won't be before 2022...my guess would be 2025.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2015/march/plans-to-improve-next-four-tube-lines-confirmed

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
District line signalling now planned for completion in 202224/03/15 13:43:00 Michael Robinson
   Re:District line signalling now planned for completion in 202224/03/15 22:34:00 Thomas Barry

Forum Home