Forum Message

Topic: Re:I recommend to you this URL
Posted by: David Wheeldon
Date/Time: 05/01/05 14:00:00

Spiked is a very interesting website indeed. You might like some history.  It used to be Living Marxism magazine that was closed down following a lost lawsuit with ITN over allegations of fabrications in a documentary on attrocities in Bosnia - an interesting example of a media that likes to uphold the right to report what it will about others but clamps down on those who delve into its own murky world.

You may think that Marxism sits ill with the editorial slant of the website but that is to misread the determinist nature of Marxism which believes that a utopian society cannot be achieved without the scientific, economic and intellectual progress of the working class.

Thus you have an intellectual foundation that is committed to progress, development and application of science (especially the appropriate appreciation of risk) and, in particular loathes emotional responses and post enlightenment and post modern thinking. Above all Spiked enjoys pointing to the hypocrisy of the borgeouise middle classes that patronises and fears the mores of the common man.

To be fair, most writers for Spiked have moved far beyond their marxist roots (as far as I can tell) and provide a challenging outlook that can be difficult for those of us who live comfortable and protected lives and chose to believe the nonsense fed to us by a manipulative and emotionally stunted media.

Enjoy their company Diccon, I know I do....

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
I recommend to you this URL04/01/05 20:43:00 Diccon Adams
   Re:05/01/05 09:58:00 Asha Winterflood
   Re:I recommend to you this URL05/01/05 13:25:00 Andrew Dowle
      FYI - Spiked/Living Marxism05/01/05 14:05:00 Birna Helgadottir
   Re:I recommend to you this URL05/01/05 14:00:00 David Wheeldon

Forum Home