It has been sad to see the closure of so many local eateries not least the beloved Silver Birch. But for this particular cloud there has been a silver lining. Under the same management it has re-opened as Brook and Green possibly referencing sea food and plants, possibly Stamford Brook and Acton Green. I will check on my next visit. Rather than fine dining it now presents as an all-day bistro offering carefully sourced seasonal produce at more affordable prices.
It was already quite busy before 12.30 on the weekday that I arrived there for lunch accompanied by two local dignitaries. Being of the senior persuasion we probably ordered fewer dishes than most of the many younger diners there but enough to form a very favourable impression. The two starters we shared, cod’s roe and calamari were prettily presented and delicious. The one dessert, crème brûlée, was among the best I’ve ever had. Of the main courses, the sea bass was fine, the crab pasta a little under-seasoned. The three wines were good and reasonably priced. Service was brisk and friendly. I’m very happy to recommend Brook and Green. It’s not cheap but is excellent value.
Another local ‘phoenix’ is Mirtala, formerly Sam’s Larder on TGT. A friend who went there, not one normally inclined to hyperbole, described it as ‘f…ing great’. Can’t wait. |