Forum Message

Topic: Re think all rubbish collection
Posted by: Jennifer Selig
Date/Time: 06/03/13 01:52:00

Ranting and gnashing of teeth aside - should the whole system of rubbish collection be re-thought?   Initially it would seem to make sense to force everyone to be responsible for their own rubbish and to co-operate in its disposal in the "greenest" way.

However, realism needs to be faced by our Councils before they impose such tasks upon their taxed residents who, after all, pay for Council services.   On the big assumption that every resident in the borough is willing to become a part-time, unpaid, "refuse sorter", the facts that Councils need to face are:--

1/ the inability of most of us to differentiate accurately enough between the various types of rubbish so what's sorted/collected is not contaminated and thus consigned to landfill;

2/ a physical disability that prevents us becoming "refuse sorters";

3/ willing but no time;

4/ willing but lack of space for all the bins/bags required;

5/ blissful ignorance!

and finally
6/ a disinclination or downright refusal to embark on unpaid refuse sorting.

Looking at these facts, one black bag per household, collected by bin men from lidded bins, taken away for sorting by trained and paid "refuse sorters" would be the answer.  Now there's an idea that might catch on!

I don't think any Council has ever properly considered these problems - they have just decided on a course, issued their bins and bags, printed numerous leaflets (no doubt in numerous languages) and hoped for the best.   Now, tut-tut, we, the dimbo public are not very good Refuse Sorters so the whole lot still has to be carted off to landfill!   Back to the drawing board.

I've lifted this from the Wheelie Bin thread - I wondered if Lead Cllr Ellar, whose responsibilities include recycling and waste management as well as tarmac, ever dips into the local forums.   I might email him direct as well as I'd like to hear his views.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Re think all rubbish collection06/03/13 01:52:00 Jennifer Selig
   Re:Re think all rubbish collection06/03/13 08:30:00 Rachael Spencer
      Re:Re:Re think all rubbish collection06/03/13 11:46:00 Andy Murray
         Re:Re:Re:Re think all rubbish collection26/10/14 09:44:00 Gioilla Zordan
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Re think all rubbish collection26/10/14 13:12:00 Jeni Evans
   Re:Re think all rubbish collection26/10/14 10:22:00 Janine Jarvis
      Re:Re:Re think all rubbish collection26/10/14 11:57:00 Oliver Gibb
   Re:Re think all rubbish collection26/10/14 13:08:00 Jane Willingale
   Re:Re think all rubbish collection26/10/14 13:18:00 Henry Bloomfield

Forum Home