Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Double glazing installers
Posted by: Philippa Bond
Date/Time: 05/07/22 09:14:00

You've confused me Vivienne.  We have double glazed traditional wooden sliding sashes and in this hot weather we open them a little and equal amount top and bottom in this hot weather to create air movement so that the hot air can escape at the top and cold air is sucked in at the bottom.  We also have window locks.  We also pull the blinds when there is too much sun.

We've had double glazing for years as they don't leak and rattle when planes fly over as the old ones used to and are much warmer in winter.

We can open our windows so that we also have through draughts and in the future I would also choose to replace the double glazed fanlight over the front door so that this opened and locked to allow more through ventilation.  I'd be interested to see info on how well other windows which work differently to sliding sashes work.  (It isn't all about the look that needs consideration!)

We don't need or use fans and AC in the UK.  We've lived in the Middle East and don't love as many there seem to do chilled rooms or bars where you have to remember to take and wear your winter woollies.  We wouldn't ever sleep with AC or fan on then but would cool bedrooms beforehand.  When and where there is extremely bad air pollution or a noise problem different solutions are necessary.

Insulation is very important but can be tricky.  BBC 4 You and Yours which headlined with Fraud the other day had a piece on what is happening in Scotland with retrofitting buildings and which works at 32:43 min into the programme.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Double glazing installers04/07/22 19:03:00 Chris Lucy
   Re:Double glazing installers07/07/22 15:41:00 Ray White
   Re:Double glazing installers04/07/22 22:18:00 N V Brooks
   Re:Double glazing installers04/07/22 22:50:00 Michael David Rowe
      Re:Re:Double glazing installers04/07/22 23:26:00 Vivienne Cox
         Re:Re:Re:Double glazing installers05/07/22 09:14:00 Philippa Bond
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Double glazing installers05/07/22 11:25:00 Vivienne Cox
   Re:Double glazing installers07/07/22 16:03:00 Ray White

Forum Home