Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)
Posted by: Ian Wylie
Date/Time: 19/01/16 14:33:00

Correct Peter. There were a number of those who were initially interested in the possibility of using the building for themselves, including others you have not mentioned. As you say yourself, many of those hoping to 'take over' St Alban's were churches of one kind or another with the hope that shared community use could also be secured. Having examined the other proposals, it seemed clear to most that the most realistic outcome would be that the building "would be used in future as both a church...and a community hub".

You're obviously sincere in your misgivings about it turning out to be Christ Church, Turnham Green. But I think you worry too much.

A neighbouring church within sight of St Alban's Church moving in to re-open a disused building also owned by the Church of England? Of course they want to evangelise and bring more people in to the church. That's what churches have been doing for a very long time. Their boss (at least the one with a Lambeth Palace address) would expect nothing less. He lived in Chiswick for several years and has always seemed a normal sort of bloke to me, despite the outfits he now sometimes has to wear.

But you may be right. Perhaps Christ Church / St Alban's does have an agenda to lure unsuspecting theatre goers, art exhibition visitors and Scottish Country Dancers from their community events at St Alban's and forcibly drag them to church services. Maybe the roof works are simply a cover for a secret tunnel under South Parade to Laveli Bakery where customers can be kidnapped one by one, along with the odd delicious almond croissant, and forced into a life of religion.

You write: "Christ Church might well be making St Albans available for community use, but I imagine this will always be subservient to their main purpose as a place of worship and a centre for evangelism."

I think you imagine incorrectly. It's once again an active church. So, yes, there's no getting around that fact. It will be a major part of its future. Rather shocking, I agree, for a building called St Alban's Church. But the long term proposals I have seen involve a large amount of 'non-church' community use. Certainly more than could have been hoped for in many of the alternative 'bids', including those by other churches. With no suggestion anywhere of that community use being "subservient".

But I, of course, respect your views. So let's, in time honoured fashion, agree to disagree, look forward not back, and see what happens. But, please, do go and see for yourself.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 13:15:00 Richard Moy
   Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 13:36:00 Will Watson
      Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 14:44:00 Richard Moy
   Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 14:02:00 Richard Greenhough
      Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 18:19:00 Peter Evans
         Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 21:42:00 Ian Wylie
            Re:Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 21:51:00 Ian Wylie
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 22:22:00 Julian Pavey
                  Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 23:27:00 Ian Wylie
            Re:Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)19/01/16 01:55:00 Robert Fish
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)19/01/16 13:06:00 Peter Evans
                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)19/01/16 14:33:00 Ian Wylie
         Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)19/01/16 13:33:00 Richard Greenhough
            Re:Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)19/01/16 14:35:00 Janine Jarvis
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)19/01/16 19:00:00 Jenn Irvine

Forum Home