Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)
Posted by: Ian Wylie
Date/Time: 18/01/16 21:42:00

As a journalist and photographer I have been documenting the St Alban’s Church story in photographs since 2011 and - as a local resident and neighbour - ended up supporting the argument to save the church from internal development into flats. Other than that I am not connected in any way to either St Alban’s or Christ Church but have, along the way, met many of those involved in this “back to life” story.

Everyone is, of course, entitled to express a view but there is some serious nonsense being alleged in the original thread and, now, in this one.

St Alban’s Church was long closed. An almost unnoticed building on South Parade, unloved and gradually deteriorating as the years went by. The proposed development and prospect of losing this building to private housing suddenly woke up many in the local community and the fight to save it for that community was ultimately won.

The vast majority of those campaigning to save the building for the community did so in full recognition that it would be used in future as both a church - the clue is in the name and the identity of the owners  - and a community hub for all sorts of activities, including theatre, the arts, exhibitions etc.

The original poster in the other thread mentions the change in the Acton Green parish boundary. Leaving aside the point that I’d guess 99 per cent of the people who live in that area have no idea where the parish boundary is in the first place and care even less, it was the subject of a full consultation and inquiry with the small number of objections received and considered by that inquiry.

It seems entirely reasonable that the Church of England would want a proper ‘local’ legal ownership structure in place before Christ Church begins spending huge sums of money on the long term restoration of the building, including the plans Richard has outlined for community use. Or would we rather keep the parish boundary where it was, enjoy tracing it out on maps and see St Alban’s Church eventually fall down?

The claim that some kind of religious cult has taken over St Alban’s Church and is plotting to spread its tentacles to the community “side” of this site’s future is preposterous.

I’m not a church goer but even I know the Alpha course has been around for quite some time and is not at all as it has been painted in the original post on the other thread.

In the last few years I’ve actually got out from behind my computer keyboard and met many of those involved at both Christ Church and St Alban’s and they all seem perfectly normal to me. Even the ones who support Arsenal or have been on an Alpha Course. No more threatening or potentially dangerous than, I’d wager, any of the local night classes. Although you always have to keep an eye on the maths students.

I’m as keen as any other member of the local W4 community to ensure this building will be used in future as both a church and a vibrant community hub. And from all I’ve seen, that’s exactly what is going to happen.

The church is, of course, part of the community whether you attend or not. I think we can allow them that? While all the evidence I have seen is that Christ Church / St Alban’s had no other agenda than to bring life back to this building.They have certainly done that with much more to come.

That small number of objections to the change in the parish boundary meant that the first major outside works to replace the roof had to be delayed until now. Yet still some complained about what they perceived to be a lack of action. Never, of course, having bothered to step inside the building to see for themselves what was going on.

I’ve seen a huge amount of work already completed at St Alban’s but, of course, there is a long way to go. The local community helped save the building. But that community alone could not have provided the driving force and organisation to push through this restoration and future plans. Christ Church / The Church of England have provided that. For a local church which, let us not forget, they own but are fully prepared to share with the community. Is that so unreasonable?

But don’t take my word for it. Why not accept the invitation to local residents to attend the open mornings at St Alban’s Church on either Saturday Feb 6 or 13 from 10am to noon? I think the chances of being abducted are pretty slim.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 13:15:00 Richard Moy
   Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 13:36:00 Will Watson
      Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 14:44:00 Richard Moy
   Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 14:02:00 Richard Greenhough
      Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 18:19:00 Peter Evans
         Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 21:42:00 Ian Wylie
            Re:Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 21:51:00 Ian Wylie
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 22:22:00 Julian Pavey
                  Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)18/01/16 23:27:00 Ian Wylie
            Re:Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)19/01/16 01:55:00 Robert Fish
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)19/01/16 13:06:00 Peter Evans
                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)19/01/16 14:33:00 Ian Wylie
         Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)19/01/16 13:33:00 Richard Greenhough
            Re:Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)19/01/16 14:35:00 Janine Jarvis
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:In defence of Alpha (St Alban's Acton Green)19/01/16 19:00:00 Jenn Irvine

Forum Home