Forum Message

Topic: Re:State pensions - an accident that will happen (but slowly)!
Posted by: Andrew Craig
Date/Time: 24/11/15 09:04:00

I am not sure he is losing out that much. Here is my understanding of what is happening.
Current basic state pension about 115pw
Secondary state pension is variable depending on contributions, earnings and if you were contracted out but it was meant as a top up scenario.
Government is getting rid of these 2 and introducing a new single state pension in a few years opening at £155pw. I guess this is sort of full basic (115) plus average secondary amount.(40)
Your brother is projected to get 70% of 155  = 108pw  which is just 7pw short of full basic equivalent but since he has a few more years possible work it should be easy to get that to 100%.  Because of contracting out the secondary part for many years he will not get that portion but private pensions for that many years is surely better return than £40pw which is what he would have got if we was not contracted out at all during his career.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
State pensions - an accident that will happen (but slowly)!23/11/15 17:07:00 Joe Conneely
   Re:State pensions - an accident that will happen (but slowly)!23/11/15 17:26:00 Claire Moran
      Re:Re:State pensions - an accident that will happen (but slowly)!23/11/15 17:29:00 Keith Iddon
   Re:State pensions - an accident that will happen (but slowly)!24/11/15 09:04:00 Andrew Craig

Forum Home