Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Solicitor acting as executor for a will
Posted by: Gervase Harson
Date/Time: 08/07/15 18:54:00

Thank you for the endorsements - I am very grateful. 

Seeking out an appropriate professional for this kind of work can be a bit of a minefield. Here are some pointers that may help your friend. 

Expertise – ideally, look for an adviser with STEP qualifications as levels of competence will vary widely. Fees – many lawyers will charge an hourly rate plus a percentage of the value of the estate. Costs can quickly escalate.

As Peter Millman quite rightly alludes to, a lawyer can either carry out the role of executor on your behalf in its entirety or you can obtain ad hoc advice as to the law and procedure to carry out your role – perhaps assisting you with the probate application and any inheritance tax issues. The latter would keep you in control and minimise costs.

Ideally your friend should sound out some potential advisers first to explore how they can help and get an idea of the costs involved. Some lawyers will provide a free initial consultation and also provide a fixed fee for their services – though many don’t.

Your friend is more than welcome to call me or visit me at my offices in Turnham Green Terrace if they would like to have an initial discussion. Otherwise, I trust the above is of some assistance. 

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Solicitor acting as executor for a will 08/07/15 10:25:00 Judith Steinert
   Re:Solicitor acting as executor for a will 08/07/15 10:49:00 Sandie Goodman
      Re:Re:Solicitor acting as executor for a will 08/07/15 12:06:00 Delilah Hall
         Re:Solicitor acting as executor for a will 08/07/15 16:01:00 Tina Gallacher
            Re:Re:Solicitor acting as executor for a will 08/07/15 18:02:00 Peter Millman
               Re:Re:Re:Solicitor acting as executor for a will 08/07/15 18:54:00 Gervase Harson
   Re:Solicitor acting as executor for a will 08/07/15 19:13:00 Tim Henderson
      Re:Re:Solicitor acting as executor for a will 09/07/15 18:42:00 Judith Steinert

Forum Home