Forum Message

Topic: Re:dog without lead  in my street and chased my  cat
Posted by: Charlotte Kasner
Date/Time: 22/05/15 15:57:00

If it is a designated road, your neighbour is contravening the Road Traffic Act 1988, Section 27
If the dog does not have a collar with a suitably inscribed tag, then the owner will be contravening the Control of Dogs Order 1992
If the owner is not in control of the dog, which sounds likely, then the owner will be contravening either the above Order and/or the Dangerous Dogs Act 2014 or the Dogs Act 1871.
The police can issue a Community Protection Notice if they deem that the owner is having a "detrimental effect on the quality of life of those in the locality" or issue an injunction if the incident compalined of is deemed to be more serious, and ultimately a Criminal Behaviour Order.

Assuming that your neighbour has ignored your request to keep his dog on the lead in public, you should in the first instance make a complaint to the police and notify the Dog Warden (020 8583 5555). Keep a log of any inciedents including time, date and location.

If possible, keep your cat indoors or restricted to a safe outdoor place until the problem is resolved. Your cat will probably vote with its paws anyway.

There are far too many arrogant, irresponsible owners who give all dog owners a bad name and of course no one would wish your cat to be stressed or injured.

Good luck.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
dog without lead  in my street and chased my  cat22/05/15 12:26:00 John Kennedy
   Re:dog without lead  in my street and chased my  cat22/05/15 14:13:00 Vanessa Smith
   Re:dog without lead  in my street and chased my  cat22/05/15 15:57:00 Charlotte Kasner

Forum Home