Forum Message

Topic: ON COHERENCE, HARDWORK & HONESTY, JOHN CONNOLLY….
Posted by: Alex Thomas
Date/Time: 01/05/15 04:04:00

1. Some on this forum say you and Ruth Cadbury are community minded, coherent, honest and hardworking. Good for you both and I sincerely mean that.

2. I had a 17 year career in a retail bank.  Whilst I was there, I was always honest and hardworking too.

3. More recently, I had a 12 year career as a qualified teacher of mainly special educational needs teenage boys and young men. Whilst I was there, I was always honest and extremely hardworking too.

4. I am now a registered carer for my lovely, highly disabled wife, Nicole. I am still very hardworking and honest in that role.

5. In my post box today, I received a Labour party leaflet. It says, “Ruth will work for a higher minimum wage”.

6. Now, I know many migrant workers in our borough personally. Many of them are skilled and/or educated. Many of them are honest and hard workers, adding value and are employed by private contractors, paid for by Hounslow BC, doing many of the menial tasks that Hounslow BC used to do.

7. This is and extract from Ruth Cadbury’s own website, in her own words:
“Which of the many things I have worked on in those 25 years, I am proudest of these two: + a Hounslow Council Living Wage: working with fellow councillors, I led and secured our Council's commitment to pay a Living Wage to all its staff and contractors. It's made a huge difference to thousands of families in our constituency, giving them more security and dignity at work.”

8. Many of those migrant workers do not drink alcohol or smoke much or at all.

9. Several of them tell me that they get paid less than the minimum wage. Many of them say they just get the minimum wage with little hope of an increase in the foreseeable future.

10.    Several of them are ashamed to say that they have to use Food Banks in Hounslow Borough.

11. One example is a carer who used to help me out for 3 hours a week, which is the maximum length of time I am told I am allowed from Hounslow Borough Council, reducing my 50 hour a week to 47 hours per week (24/7 on call) on caring duties alone. It took me a month to ‘train’ that carer.

12. I asked if I could pay privately to extend the hours.  She said yes but I must go through the same ‘charity’ who employ her. The ‘charity’ are approved, appointed and, as far as I am aware, paid for by the Hounslow Borough council.  The rate that this outsourced ‘charitable’ service provider charged for their caring services was almost £16 per hour, of which the carer gets £7 per hour. 

13. When I shopped around for a local, longstanding and reputable private care services agency, they charged £13 per hour and paid their carers £9 per hour.

Question 1.  What added value does the outsourced ‘management’ provide that justifies such a high proportion of the overall cost?

Question 2.  In light of the above, how effective has Ruth Cadbury’s leadership been on securing a Living wage for its contractors?

Associated music: Suffering City – Johnny Copeland  (Atlantic, 1968)

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
ON COHERENCE, HARDWORK & HONESTY, JOHN CONNOLLY….01/05/15 04:04:00 Alex Thomas
   ON COHERENCE, COMMUNITY, HARDWORK & HONESTY, JOHN CONNOLLY….01/05/15 10:06:00 Alex Thomas
      Re:ON COHERENCE, COMMUNITY, HARDWORK & HONESTY, JOHN CONNOLLY….01/05/15 10:55:00 Richard Greenhough
         Re who am I expecting to respond, Richard?01/05/15 11:05:00 Alex Thomas
            Re:Re who am I expecting to respond, Richard?01/05/15 11:32:00 Vanessa Smith
               Re:Re:Re who am I expecting to respond, Richard?01/05/15 16:33:00 Alex Thomas
                  Re:Re:Re:Re who am I expecting to respond, Richard?01/05/15 18:39:00 Vanessa Smith

Forum Home