Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Family Dog Dies After Ingesting Gum with Xylitol
Posted by: Margo Jales
Date/Time: 29/04/15 13:55:00

When I see comments like Charlottes and Madelines it makes my blood boil! Ask anyone who knew him Billy was an extremely well trained dog. He did not scavenge and you could leave food lying about in the house and he would never have touched it. I am also a very responsible dog owner. Billy had dried dog food and nothing else. No human food at all that was the rule and everyone knew it. What happened that day was due to unusual circumstances which I don't want to go into here as there are people (including me) still traumatized by what happened ( but Claire's post is slightly wrong in that I did not give him the cake). Onions, grapes, chocolate, ice cream etc we all know what it looks like and of course we wouldn't give it to our dogs but xylitol is invisible - you cannot t see it. 
Would you worry if your dog licked up the baby food your infant had thrown on the floor - probably not but you should because there is a chance that it has xylitol in it. The sugar free sweets in M&S - have xylitol in them. Very many items you wouldn't suspect contain xylitol. The warnings on the bags of xylitol sweetener that it is toxic to some animals you would need a magnifying glass to read. After Billy died I did a lot of campaigning to bring it to people's attention. I wrote to the importers  asking them to make the warnings on packets clearer, I wrote to government departments, involved some well known vets to write about it in newspapers, had a letter with his photo published in the daily mail and notices put up in local Vets and Devonshire Road pet shop. We handed out leaflets warning about it in Chiswick House and park so did our best to raise awareness.
Charlotte and Madeline it really hurts (and makes me extremely angry) when people say that this only happens to poorly disciplined dogs and careless owners because in this case nothing could have been further from
the truth - what happened that day could happen to any of you!


Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Family Dog Dies After Ingesting Gum with Xylitol 28/04/15 12:46:00 Leslie Wilson
   Re:Family Dog Dies After Ingesting Gum with Xylitol 28/04/15 12:55:00 Claire Moran
      Re:Re:Family Dog Dies After Ingesting Gum with Xylitol 28/04/15 18:22:00 Margo Jales
         Re:Re:Re:Family Dog Dies After Ingesting Gum with Xylitol 28/04/15 23:02:00 Lynne Bruce
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Family Dog Dies After Ingesting Gum with Xylitol 29/04/15 11:49:00 Charlotte Kasner
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Family Dog Dies After Ingesting Gum with Xylitol 29/04/15 13:00:00 Claire Moran
                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Family Dog Dies After Ingesting Gum with Xylitol 29/04/15 13:11:00 Madeleine Hazard
                     Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Family Dog Dies After Ingesting Gum with Xylitol 29/04/15 13:15:00 Claire Moran
                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Family Dog Dies After Ingesting Gum with Xylitol 29/04/15 13:33:00 Loraine Pemberton
                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Family Dog Dies After Ingesting Gum with Xylitol 29/04/15 13:55:00 Margo Jales
                           Re:Family Dog Dies After Ingesting Gum with Xylitol 29/04/15 14:32:00 Sarah Sharp
                           Margo's dog29/04/15 14:41:00 Sarah Sharp
                              Re:Margo's dog29/04/15 15:12:00 Claire Moran
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Family Dog Dies After Ingesting Gum with Xylitol 29/04/15 15:47:00 Charlotte Kasner
   Re:Family Dog Dies After Ingesting Gum with Xylitol 29/04/15 15:53:00 Charlotte Kasner
      Re:Re:Family Dog Dies After Ingesting Gum with Xylitol 29/04/15 15:59:00 Claire Moran

Forum Home