Forum Message

Topic: Litter on Fauconberg Road this weekend (and in Grove Park in general)
Posted by: Tom Lindsay
Date/Time: 16/03/15 12:25:00

I am sorry, but this weekend it was unacceptable. We live in an awesome area, with a really strong community spirit, so what on earth are we doing with litter as bad as it was over the weekend.

Litter has been an issue for me ever since i moved into Elmwood road just over 3 years, although until this weekend my issue had been specifically with my street more than anything else. The issue on Elmwood seems fairly straight forward. The recyclers come and pick up our recycling on a Wednesday and don't clean up after themselves leaving a trail of litter in their wake. The obvious immediate solution for this, until the council is able to provide more funding for litter pickers, is for each resident to take responsibility for the area outside of their house after the recyclers come. But does anyone do this? I am not sure. Why not though? it takes 2 minutes and very little hardship.... If the street was full of people living in rented flats i'd understand, but i am imagining that most residents are home owners...

Anyway, moving on to Fauconberg. Did anyone see it this weekend? Disgusting. Unnecessary and sad. How come "we" were ok for this mess to remain all weekend? While we can blame the council, as we have seen with the CPZ issues blaming them will not lead to any quick solutions. So in the meantime can't we deal with this ourselves?

It appeared (although I must admit this is just my hunch from what I saw) that the litter was caused by black bin liners being left outside shops/restaurants and or houses on Fauconberg parade. I don't want or mean to blame anyone individually, but would it not make sense for the shop keepers/restaurant owners to take responsibility for this rather than the residents? As those most likely to profit from the cleanliness and suffer from the rubbish, it would seem to make sense that they (the businesses), collectively, deal with the problem that we ALL have to suffer.

It amazes me that the businesses managed to trade all weekend without someone taking responsibility for clearing the mess up.

What are the solutions?
- find out who is responsible for leaving the rubbish out overnight in flimsy/cheap black bin liners that the foxes seemingly spray all over the pavement.
- Ask them not to do it.
- To use the stronger bin liners, double bag them.
- ask the council for a couple of more wheelie bins?
- produce an emergency rota across the different businesses that allocates responsibility for pavements cleanliness over the course of a weekend.

None of the above is revolutionary. All of it is achievable. I am pretty sure it would have avoided a situation like we had this weekend.

I am no do-gooder. I certainly don't make a habit out of complaining on here or other forums. But come on Grove Park (residents and business owners), let's take pride and responsibility for our streets and our homes/places of work. Picking up a bit of litter is not a time consuming nor difficult thing to do. But it would make a huge difference to the place we live/work.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Litter on Fauconberg Road this weekend (and in Grove Park in general) 16/03/15 12:25:00 Tom Lindsay
   Re:Litter on Fauconberg Road this weekend (and in Grove Park in general) 16/03/15 12:40:00 Rima Jones
   Re:Litter on Fauconberg Road this weekend (and in Grove Park in general) 16/03/15 12:55:00 Richard Greenhough
      Re:Re:Litter on Fauconberg Road this weekend (and in Grove Park in general) 16/03/15 13:06:00 Sam Hearn
         Re:Re:Re:Litter on Fauconberg Road this weekend (and in Grove Park in general) 16/03/15 13:22:00 Iris Hill
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Litter on Fauconberg Road this weekend (and in Grove Park in general) 25/03/15 11:58:00 Philippa Bond
   Re:Litter on Fauconberg Road this weekend (and in Grove Park in general) 29/03/15 09:10:00 Stephan Deare-Bilham
   Re:Litter on Fauconberg Road this weekend (and in Grove Park in general) 29/03/15 09:10:00 Stephan Deare-Bilham
   Re:Litter on Fauconberg Road this weekend (and in Grove Park in general) 29/03/15 09:11:00 Stephan Deare-Bilham

Forum Home