Forum Message

Topic: Now We Know What Happened to Local Newspaper
Posted by: Felicity Caborn
Date/Time: 13/02/15 09:11:00

Trinity Mirror announced this morning that they were tripling the amount they are setting aside to settle claims relating to phone hacking. The number is now £12 million and there is no reason to rule out further increases.

This explains the continued staff cuts we have seen in an organisation that was already hollowed out. That any papers are produced at all is down to the people that are left working much harder than ever before. They and their former colleagues are paying the price for the venality and lack of ethics of their superiors.

The cut backs also seem to have affected distribution as I haven't been able to get a copy at my local newsagent for some months now and two others I tried this morning on the way to work didn't stock it.

We are lucky in Chiswick to have a viable alternative source of local news but elsewhere in the country this is not the case. The fundamental problem seems to be that when people at the top get things right they pocket the profits, when they get it wrong others are left to pick up the bill.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Now We Know What Happened to Local Newspaper13/02/15 09:11:00 Felicity Caborn
   Re:Now We Know What Happened to Local Newspaper13/02/15 09:27:00 Thomas Barry
   Re:Now We Know What Happened to Local Newspaper13/02/15 09:42:00 Michael Robinson
   Re:Now We Know What Happened to Local Newspaper13/02/15 09:57:00 Nigel Brooks
      Re:Re:Now We Know What Happened to Local Newspaper13/02/15 10:54:00 Felicity Caborn
         Re:Re:Re:Now We Know What Happened to Local Newspaper13/02/15 11:45:00 Nigel Brooks
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Now We Know What Happened to Local Newspaper13/02/15 16:04:00 Dan Evans

Forum Home