Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?
Posted by: Claire Moran
Date/Time: 17/01/15 17:17:00

A good choice then, for you I would say.  I normally see Karl there  but Sean is very nice too. 

Thankfully most of the cost, apart from my older animals where the insurance company I use for two of the animals insist I make a contribution once they are over eight (but monthly premiums are competitive) are covered by insurance, I simply could not cope without it, although the cost of covering seven animals is way more than my mortgage!   I am afraid the insurance companies I use probably regret taking me as a client as they have covered far more costs than I have put in. 

But even though I have insurance, and with some of the companies I use they don't ask for a contribution whatever the pet's age,  I try to keep the bills down as although I go for lifetime insurance there is still a limit to what they will pay for for each condition, and you never know what is going to happen.  

For flea and worming treatment, which of course is ongoing, and as one of my cats will probably need occasional pain medication for the rest of his life as he has pancreatitis, I ask Richmond Vets to write a prescription for ongoing flea/worming or the painkilling medication and I order it online.  A one-off medication I  just pay for at the vet as it is less faffing around with getting prescriptions, sending it and ordering it online,  and most vets do a lot of admin and help with rescue animals that they can't charge for so if they make a bit of extra money from one-off treatments that doesn't bother me too much as long as it is within reason.

As you probably know, there are certain things insurance companies won't allow you to claim for, such as flea/worming medication.  

Most recently, I didn't want to have to go over to Richmond to collect the pain medication for my cat as currently it is not urgent and I am busy this week so they were happy for me to take the prescription to Youngs at Bedford Corner where I also have animals registered but although Youngs are quite competitive on price the medication was still double what it cost through Viovet and of course there is a prescription charge to pay as well.    For the pain medication ordered through Viovet I will claim that back from the insurance company along with the cost of the vet fee and blood test,  although I will have to pay around a third of all the costs, including the blood test and vet fee as the cat with pancreatitis is over eight.

But it is till way, way worth having insurance, however, in my opinion, if you can find a good company,  I don't think I would sleep very well at night without it.  When one of my animals got diabetes and the resulting cataracts, his treatment cost over £8,000, virtually all paid for by the insurance company.  I never want to be in a position where I can't give them gold star treatment because I can't afford it.  

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?17/01/15 14:17:00 Andy Pease
   Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?17/01/15 14:25:00 Vanessa Smith
      Re:Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?17/01/15 15:55:00 Claudia Jachtmann
         Re:Re:Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?17/01/15 16:29:00 Claire Moran
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?17/01/15 16:41:00 Andy Pease
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?17/01/15 17:17:00 Claire Moran
                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?17/01/15 17:24:00 Nigel Brooks
                     Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?17/01/15 23:56:00 Sarah Sharp
   Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?18/01/15 06:52:00 Adrian Irving
      Re:Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?18/01/15 18:24:00 Andy Pease
   Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?19/01/15 09:45:00 Charlotte Kasner
      Re:Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?19/01/15 10:48:00 Nigel Brooks
         Re:Re:Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?19/01/15 11:09:00 Vanessa Smith
         Re:Re:Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?20/01/15 10:29:00 Charlotte Kasner
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?20/01/15 11:39:00 Nigel Brooks
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?20/01/15 16:43:00 Charlotte Kasner
                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Has anyone got a spare Jolly Roger ?20/01/15 16:57:00 Stuart Kerr

Forum Home