Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?
Posted by: Dan Murphy
Date/Time: 04/01/15 09:47:00

"Calm down Dan"

Gee, thanks Robert for such a useful contribution. Well researched.

It always amuses me that whenever anyone dares to support something that might place greater controls over dogs (and some of their owners), the topic quickly changes from the original subject to a personal attack on the evil dog hater.

Yes, I am hostile to a few dog-related things. I am hostile to people who allow their dogs to crap on our streets and in our parks. And I am hostile towards owners who allow their dogs to attack thousands of people (and other dogs) each year.

I find it extraordinary that it is impossible even to broach the idea of doing something about it, without being shouted down, and dismissed as a hostile obsessive who needs to “calm down”. Well I suppose it’s an improvement on being called a Nazi (which has also happened here in the past).

All I have done is to point to a news article from the US which suggests that an initiative appears to be having a positive effect on local dog fouling, and that 15 UK councils have expressed an interest  in it. Given that complaints about dog fouling are one of the top issues that councils have to deal with (number four on the list of complaints according to government statistics), it strikes me as reasonably sensible to explore it.

But no, we are not allowed to discuss it. Instead, the dog lovers start telling me I am becoming obsessive and hostile.

You accuse me of overstating the problem. Well, the statistics around dog fouling come from many public sources, and I took the trouble to reference some of them here. But still you accuse me of “overstating the problem”. Even when presented with various public sources of information, the thread returns to a personal attack on me. It’s not my data, and I didn’t write the US article. I’m just pointing it out.

I think it would be a very sensible idea to address the problem of dog fouling, as a UK-wide topic. Perhaps dog waste might be less in W4 than it was years ago, but the UK is wider than W4.

And by the way, I have always been very civil and polite to all those who disagree with me. I have always backed up my opinions with reasonable arguments and facts. I have never launched personal attacks on people who disagree with my views (and I know there are a few). Robert, if you can find a single post of mine where I have made personal attacks or deliberately insulted anyone, please post it as an example. I can certainly find dozens where I have been personally attacked, including being called a Nazi.

I simply don’t understand why it’s impossible to raise any topic relating to the control of dogs in public, without it always ending up in such vitriol and personal attacks.

But it does explain why no politician has ever had the courage to support action against dog fouling or the current level of dog attacks in the UK (and we all know the “dangerous dogs act” is a joke). It’s because they know they would be consumed by the foaming rage of the dog lovers, in a heartbeat.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Finally - Dog DNA registration...?31/12/14 09:04:00 Dan Murphy
   Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?31/12/14 10:07:00 Janet Norman
      Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?31/12/14 10:20:00 Richard Greenhough
   Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?31/12/14 11:45:00 Felicity Caborn
      Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?31/12/14 12:11:00 Richard Greenhough
         Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?31/12/14 17:07:00 Claire Moran
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?01/01/15 10:39:00 Paul Corcoran
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?01/01/15 11:34:00 Dan Murphy
                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?02/01/15 16:36:00 Felicity Caborn
                     Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?02/01/15 21:55:00 Paul Corcoran
                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?03/01/15 06:02:00 Dan Murphy
                           Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?03/01/15 09:04:00 Paul Corcoran
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?03/01/15 09:42:00 Dan Murphy
                                 Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?03/01/15 09:45:00 Paul Corcoran
                                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?03/01/15 12:02:00 Marjan Lee
                                       Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?03/01/15 13:21:00 Dan Murphy
                                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?03/01/15 13:18:00 Dan Murphy
                                       Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?03/01/15 14:42:00 Robert Fish
                                          Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?04/01/15 09:47:00 Dan Murphy
                                             Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?04/01/15 10:59:00 Robert Fish
                                                Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?04/01/15 12:56:00 Dan Murphy
                                                Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?04/01/15 13:14:00 Dan Murphy
                                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?04/01/15 19:38:00 Robert Fish
                                                      Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?05/01/15 23:17:00 Paul Corcoran
   Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?05/01/15 14:14:00 Charlotte Kasner
      Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?05/01/15 17:00:00 Richard Greenhough
         Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?06/01/15 09:35:00 Charlotte Kasner
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?08/01/15 10:54:00 Felicity Caborn
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?08/01/15 11:16:00 Charlotte Kasner
                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Finally - Dog DNA registration...?09/01/15 09:50:00 Felicity Caborn

Forum Home