Forum Message

Topic: Grove Park Primary and Strand on the Green Primary
Posted by: Tilly Johnson
Date/Time: 07/12/14 20:48:00

Firstly, i want to make it very clear that I hear both are great schools, both have great teachers, OFSTED obviously agrees and i realise we are very lucky to be faced with this dilemma!

My eldest daughter starts reception in Sept 2015 and we have to declare our school preferences in the next few weeks. We are lucky enough to be within each catchment according to last year's distances and so we might also be lucky enough to be accepted to whichever we put as our preference and thus we want to make the right choice at this stage.

We are closer to GPP and feeling more part of that community is important to us. But, we have had a better impression of SonG. We visited them both last year and again last month, and have gained a better impression from SonG, both times, but more so this time. Admittedly this is probably in large part due to the fact GPP have year 5 pupils conduct the tours and SonG use headteachers who are more "on the sell" and can give a more detailed representation of the school. But to the naked eye, SonG feels quite a lot more organised, GPP a bit more chaotic.

Clearly GPP is in a period of transition from a size and a Head Teacher perspective which must be a challenge but giving them the benefit of the doubt that they will overcome both these obstacles, i am intrigued to hear peoples opinions, particularly those who have strong comparative opinions.

For context of what is important i list the following:

- clearly, for them to be happy, well looked after and well prepared for the battles ahead
- academically, we want our kids to be pushed enough so that they are fulfilling their potential. I dont think we are very pushy, but maybe medium pushy parents.
- community, helping in the community and being part of the community, both for our kids and us parents.

Lastly, i am interested in views for the whole, rather than just reception class.

Many thanks all.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Grove Park Primary and Strand on the Green Primary07/12/14 20:48:00 Tilly Johnson
   Re:Grove Park Primary and Strand on the Green Primary07/12/14 21:49:00 Andy Pease
   Re:Grove Park Primary and Strand on the Green Primary07/12/14 22:10:00 Samia Mirza
   Re:Grove Park Primary and Strand on the Green Primary07/12/14 23:24:00 Lucy Chambers
      Re:Re:Grove Park Primary and Strand on the Green Primary08/12/14 09:08:00 Thomas Barry
         Re:Re:Re:Grove Park Primary and Strand on the Green Primary08/12/14 09:47:00 Sam Hearn

Forum Home