Forum Message

Topic: To paraphrase Queen: can somebody help me find a recycling box to love
Posted by: Mary Mc vey
Date/Time: 10/11/14 18:30:00

Dear All
As  rubbish collection and recycling is in vogue, I post this in the probably vain hope that someone in Hounslow Council or even the Leader of the Council might care!
Prologue: about 10-12 weeks ago, my rubbish wasn't collected though I'd put it out before 7am. I reported it same day but it sat outside for 72 hours before I took it back in: a charming health hazard that somehow didn't manage to attract all these rats and foxes we need to be so scared of. I rang the Council to complain and was basically told it was my fault as I had put out a white bin liner, and operatives have been instructed to pick up black rubbish bags. I was astounded at this and emailed Cllr Mann for clarification that this was indeed council policy; after a a delay of more than 2 weeks he replied without clarifying ( yes or no would have sufficed) and suggesting I contact my ward councillors! Its not my position to dictate how Cabinet at LBH runs itself but I was a bit surprised that Cllr Mann has no view on whether it is reasonable to expect refuse collectors to be able to identify a white ( as opposed to black) bin liner which is sold and used extensively. I didn't have time or will to contact ward councillors. Question: if Cllr Mann thought it their remit, why not have the courtesy to forward my email to them?
Onto next rant... recycle box goes missing two weeks ago (had house no on it but the recycling operatives like us to play "hunt the container" at the end of a hard day). Report it same day. 9 days later: no replacement box. Ring council to complain: 35 mins on hold. While on there, mention I live in a terraced street with small front gardens so should be exempt from wheelie bin diktat but have had letter saying bin arriving: asked not delivered as already have one taking up space and making bag garden ugly. Told someone will ring me back: two working days later, no call and no recycling box. I did recycling ninja last week at 6.30 am, depositing all my cardboard, cans and bottles in neighbours boxes where they had space.  This week I can't do that so am stuck with decision between mess in my house or sending stuff to landfill.LBH's actions seem somewhat at odds with stated aims.... I would love it dearly if anyone from  council or Cabinet to explain why.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
To paraphrase Queen: can somebody help me find a recycling box to love10/11/14 18:30:00 Mary Mc vey
   Re: To paraphrase Queen: can somebody help me find a recycling box to love11/11/14 04:46:00 John Todd
   Re: To paraphrase Queen: can somebody help me find a recycling box to love11/11/14 07:48:00 Sean Wales
      Re:Re: To paraphrase Queen: can somebody help me find a recycling box to love11/11/14 16:45:00 Mary Mc vey
         Re:Re:Re: To paraphrase Queen: can somebody help me find a recycling box to love11/11/14 17:04:00 Peter Milligan
         Re:Re:Re: To paraphrase Queen: can somebody help me find a recycling box to love11/11/14 19:20:00 Mari Austin
            Re:Re:Re:Re: To paraphrase Queen: can somebody help me find a recycling box to love11/11/14 20:02:00 Pamela Seth

Forum Home