Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles
Posted by: Elizabeth Ross
Date/Time: 05/11/14 17:25:00

I don't think  you will get through to a CPO as I believe that section was axed quite recently.

Many years ago Chiswick Security fitted Burglar bars on our accessible conservatory top windows.  They have a simple square design, are very robust and fitted with unscrewable screws.  Our sash windows all have window opening restrictors (Banhams) and also 'through the wood' devices which stop the windows being opened together with a central lock.  The vulnerable windows have 'impact' sensors which you seem to have fitted anyway.

The suggestion of getting someone like Banhams to come round is a good one but they are expensive and I totally agree that the concertina grills are unsightly and restricting.  Sadly they are not as effective as they look and can fairly easily be forced.

You should also look into putting in automatic lights on the front, back and rear, with the sensors high enough up to prevent them being tampered with.

Putting in CCTV cameras are no longer as expensive as they were and these are worth looking into and do have a certain deterrent factor.

Look at the access points these thieves are using to get to the property.  Raise the fencing with strong trellis and plant very thorny plants such as roses, berberis, holly, pyracantha, etc so hopping over the fence is made an unpleasant experience.  Garden side gates - metal or wood should have good locks which cannot be jemmied open.  My side gate now sports a 'parrot beak' type lock which comes over into the opposing side - usually used on patio doors.  I paid for a good quality one which cannot be forced.

For back doors such as a standard kitchen one, see if it is possible to fit an additional metal 'trellis' type gate which should be fitted into the wall and not just hung on 2 'spikes and should be capable of being locked with security lock.  These are readily available (often used in Council flats) but get a robust one.  This means that in good weather, he can leave the internal door open and the metal door will keep him safe.

The front door, get a mesh grill put behind the glass to stop the door glass being smashed.  Fit 2 locks,  the first, a dead lock, about 1/3rd of the way up (stops the door being kicked in) and the second half way which should be capable of being opened by pressing a lever or pulling one back but also can be double locked with a key from inside and/or outside.  Also fit passive bolts on the hinge side to prevent the door being kicked in.

I am afraid I can't help you with the patio doors.

None of this will be cheap but hope the suggestions help.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 12:53:00 Cathy Smith
   Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 13:29:00 Viv Griffiths
      Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 14:53:00 Richard Greenhough
         Re:Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 15:09:00 Cathy Smith
      Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 15:04:00 Cathy Smith
         Re:Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 15:28:00 Georgina Flint
      Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 18:33:00 Adrian Irving
   Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 15:50:00 Robert Fish
      Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 16:43:00 Cathy Smith
         Re:Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 17:25:00 Elizabeth Ross
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 18:11:00 Cathy Smith
      Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 17:18:00 Iris Hill
         Re:Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 17:35:00 Robert Fish
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 19:05:00 Andy Pease
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 20:34:00 Claire Moran
                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 20:51:00 Claire Moran
                     Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles05/11/14 22:44:00 Fiona Campbell
                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles06/11/14 09:31:00 Andy Pease
                     Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Chiswick Security - internal security gate grilles06/11/14 14:36:00 Tony Buchanan

Forum Home