Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:The Guardian, New Scientist & Smithsonian Institute on LED Street Lighting
Posted by: James Holmes-Siedle
Date/Time: 24/10/14 11:46:00

>>A straw man is a common type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on the misrepresentation of an opponent's argument.[1] To be successful, a straw man argument requires that the audience be ignorant or uninformed of the original argument.

Not fair Russel - I am NOT saying that your Hypothesis - that the new streetlights are worse than what thy replaced and could cause all sorts of difficulties - I AM questioning your support for that hypothesis.

Annecdotally I have not sen insect clusters around the lights in Chiswick (despite swallowing a lot of midges on my travels around the unlit areas of the river) AND I have found my curtains very effective in excluding any overspill in my bedroom - which is what the study suggests in non temperate climates.

I HAVE agreed that there should be better shielding and perhaps dimming as the fittings themselves are poorly controlled (generating GLARE).

But you have much more exposure to the wavelengths that you are citing from your LED telly, and tablets and phones.

I still have not seen sufficient evidence for the harmful nature of a dimmed well shielded led fitting.

I am just a scientist weighing up the science info that you put to support your hypothesis - is questioning the basis of your cited support being a straw man - I don't think so. in my world it just pushes scientists to produce better evidence to support their arguments - not cry foul!

James

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
The Guardian, New Scientist & Smithsonian Institute on LED Street Lighting24/10/14 07:26:00 Russell Pearson
   Re:The Guardian, New Scientist & Smithsonian Institute on LED Street Lighting24/10/14 08:50:00 Michael Brown
   Re:The Guardian, New Scientist & Smithsonian Institute on LED Street Lighting24/10/14 10:22:00 James Holmes-Siedle
      Re:Re:The Guardian, New Scientist & Smithsonian Institute on LED Street Lighting24/10/14 10:30:00 Russell Pearson
         Re:Re:Re:The Guardian, New Scientist & Smithsonian Institute on LED Street Lighting24/10/14 10:50:00 James Holmes-Siedle
            Re:Re:Re:Re:The Guardian, New Scientist & Smithsonian Institute on LED Street Lighting24/10/14 11:25:00 Russell Pearson
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:The Guardian, New Scientist & Smithsonian Institute on LED Street Lighting24/10/14 11:36:00 Trudie Fuller
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:The Guardian, New Scientist & Smithsonian Institute on LED Street Lighting24/10/14 11:46:00 James Holmes-Siedle
                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:The Guardian, New Scientist & Smithsonian Institute on LED Street Lighting24/10/14 12:49:00 Russell Pearson

Forum Home