Forum Message

Topic: Paying for someone else's fuel by mistake when abroad
Posted by: Adam Beamish
Date/Time: 02/10/14 08:42:00

I'm currently abroad, yesterday filled our hire car with unleaded at a very busy hypermarket petrol station where you fill up and then drive to something akin to 2 lanes of toll booths where you pay.

I filled up with 39 euros of fuel, having had to wait some time for a rather doddery old chap to fill up infront of me.  There was a big queue at the booths and as fate would have it I choose the quicker payment lane.  So I got to the booth, said pump number 4, attendant says something in Portugese, I said 39 euro, am given the card pad to enter my PIN, I pay and drive off.

It dawned on me later, when I looked at the receipt, that I'd paid for the old bloke's diesel, not my unleaded.  Clearly I'm at fault for not double checking the amount, although I did sayy "pump 4, 39 euros" and the language barrier resulted in the confusion.

As I underpaid by 18 euros (wonder what happened with the old bloke, did he get free diesel, did he pay for my unleaded ?) I don't want the hassle of the hypermarket chasing the rental car company who in turn will chase me and charge an admin fee for doing so.  So I intend to go back to the hypermarket today (which is rather out of my way) to offer to settle the correct balance - a wise move or should I wait and see what happens ?.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Paying for someone else's fuel by mistake when abroad02/10/14 08:42:00 Adam Beamish
   Re:Paying for someone else's fuel by mistake when abroad02/10/14 08:45:00 Madeleine Hazard
      Re:Re:Paying for someone else's fuel by mistake when abroad02/10/14 08:50:00 Richard Jennings

Forum Home