Forum Message

Topic: Be careful if you're driving back from France.
Posted by: Leslie Wilson
Date/Time: 04/09/14 17:00:00

Sue Taber, who arrived home this morning after driving from Spain to France and back to Britain via the Eurotunnel, was astonished when she spotted a human leg behind the driver's seat after parking up outside her home in Shepherdswell, Kent.

She made the discovery as she let her two dogs out of the car and said the 5ft 8in man, aged between 18 and 20, emerged from her vehicle shouting: 'I'm an orphan, I'm an orphan'.

Ms Taber said she shouted at the stowaway 'in no uncertain terms' to 'get lost' before she went inside her home to dial 999 as he fled just before 9.30am.

Ironically, she had been listening to a local radio station phone-in on migrants as she drove home from the Eurotunnel terminal at Folkestone - and was unwittingly carrying one.

She told BBC Radio Kent: 'I just can't believe that this man got in my car.

'The only thing I can think of is when I took my dogs to get their passports done at Calais, that is the only place I think I let my guard down and not had the car locked.'

She added: 'I can't believe I was in there all that time and I managed to get through passport control and everything else with a stowaway on board.

'I'm still shaking. You just can't believe it could happen to you. I've got a Fiat Panda for goodness sake, with two dogs in the back.'

Ms Taber admitted she had felt something nudging her back on her cross-Channel journey, but assumed it was one of her dogs fetching a ball.

She said the incident was all the more unusual because she had taken 'security precautions' throughout her journey home from Spain.

She said: 'I was paranoid driving back by myself so everywhere I stopped I clicked the door locked.

'If I stopped for a half hour break I'd stop where there was light outside the petrol station so I wasn't going to get hijacked.

'The only place that I think it could have happened was at Calais.

'It's the only place I might not have locked the car.'

A Kent Police spokesman said: 'Kent Police was called at 9.27am today to reports of a suspected illegal immigrant in a car in Shepherdswell.

'Officers located the man and he has been transferred to the Home Office Immigration Enforcement (formally UKBA) for them to take any further action.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2743571/Woman-s-shock-illegal-immigrant-Fiat-Panda-d-driven-France-UK.html

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Be careful if you're driving back from France.04/09/14 17:00:00 Leslie Wilson
   Re:Be careful if you're driving back from France.04/09/14 17:15:00 Brian Coyle
      Re:Re:Be careful if you're driving back from France.04/09/14 17:20:00 Sarah Sharp
         Re:Re:Re:Be careful if you're driving back from France.04/09/14 18:02:00 Susan Kelly
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Be careful if you're driving back from France.04/09/14 18:43:00 Rebecca Hobson
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Be careful if you're driving back from France.04/09/14 18:46:00 Guy Lambert
                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Be careful if you're driving back from France.04/09/14 19:27:00 Brian Coyle
                     Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Be careful if you're driving back from France.04/09/14 20:12:00 Guy Lambert
                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Be careful if you're driving back from France.04/09/14 20:19:00 Carl Wynne
                           Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Be careful if you're driving back from France.04/09/14 20:22:00 Keith Iddon
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Be careful if you're driving back from France.04/09/14 23:30:00 George Knox
                                 Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Be careful if you're driving back from France.05/09/14 00:07:00 Keith Iddon
                                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Be careful if you're driving back from France.05/09/14 00:41:00 Will Watson

Forum Home