Forum Message

Topic: England Handball Sponsorship
Posted by: Lina Thompsell
Date/Time: 15/03/10 16:29:00

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew anyone that could help. My name is Emmalina Thompsell, and I have recently moved to Chiswick. I am currently finishing my degree at Cambridge, whilst training with the England Handball team, and I am looking for sponsorship to help me with training for the European Championships, which are in Valencia in September.

The type of handball I play involves hitting a ball against a wall using your hands (its not the Olympic handball) and as such it is very difficult to find anywhere to train - currently the England squad trains at the Westway Centre, but hiring the courts there is extortionately expensive - there are no full size courts with public access in the UK.

Last year, I was fortunate enough to be sponsored by GLL London, which ran the Hammersmith Squash and Fitness Centre - they gave me free use of their facilities, especially their squash courts - which are really invaluable, in lieu of a proper handball court, as well as recieving money from the Linford Christie Trust to travel to the World Championships.

Unfortunately, this deal has obviously ended now I have moved out the area, and I was wondering if anyone in Chiswick would be able to help, either with costs, or with gym access, and/or access to a suitable wall.

In return for sponsorship, I did a lot of publicity for GLL London - I appeared in many different local papers, and made sure that their sponsorship was mentioned, and would be willing to offer similar publicity and assistance to any local businesses.

In 2009 I was selected to play third singles, and second doubles on the England team in the World Championships, Federation Cup and Irish National Championships. At the Worlds, I reached the quarter finals of my singles division, and as part of England women's team, we finished 4th in the world in the Federation Cup (up from a previous best of 6th).

I am aware that in the current economic climate, this may be difficult, but if anyone knows anyone that could do anything to help, that would be amazing.

Thanks so much,

Lina

emmalina.thompsell@englandhandball.co.uk

Forum Home